Paideia

Paideia

by Susan Forshey -
Number of replies: 0

1.  What words/descriptors would you use for the UDTS understanding of "intellectual, human, spiritual, vocational" learning and formation?

Paideia - Though an old term, I think it captures our approach to education at the seminary, and in many ways, at the University as well. We are concerned for the whole person, and not in the silos of body, mind, spirit, soul, or the dualism of body-spirit, body-mind, but all woven together. Everything is material for the life of discipleship.

Whole community - fellow disciples together. In my disciple formation courses, my email greeting is "Dear Fellow Disciples." I am not just forming ministers, I am supporting God's formation of our students as disciples. And even more, God's formation of all of us, students, faculty, and staff as disciples, is supported by how we are the seminary community. 

Quotidian - God calls us to ordinary, daily life. Sometimes that is doing something world-changing. Sometimes it is transforming the world for one person, which still is world-changing. Sometimes is cleaning up a clogged toilet so the next person doesn't have to. Our faith is symbolized with very domestic and earthy things, our liturgies offer us the basics--food, cleansing, forgiveness, fellowship. At the seminary, no one is above these ordinary tasks, and everyone is willing to put labor into making our life together function. We aren't afraid to get our hands dirty with the daily needs of life. 

2. What direct and indirect ways do you see us following through on our overarching approach to learning and formation?

I've written about the disciple formation courses already--these courses are intentional, concentrated crucibles for quotidian, holistic formation across all areas. SPMs, Monday prayer and chapels, August retreats, August classes, worship, lunches, and extracurricular offerings are more of the same. I celebrate when I hear the creative things you do in your classes that helps students encounter your content in an almost eucharistic way. Travel classes, immersions, field trips, sitting in neighborhood gathering places, etc.