Susan

Susan

by Susan Forshey -
Number of replies: 0

I have Zoom sessions with formation students and I ask for feedback directly, and I take it seriously, and sometimes make immediate changes. 

Very basically, I look at how students are engaging the material each time I teach it and see what new questions, pushback, or openness occurs from semester to semester. The formation series of 4 classes is regularly updated with new music and art, new questions, etc., because each cohort brings a new engagement and the world is a different place each time the course is taught. The personality make-up of the class can also spark changes. 

This is outside the seminary, but the Spirituality Day for the PA and Nursing students has an extensive evaluation each year which every student participate in (about 50 students). While these students are not going into ministry, I look to see how the spirituality topics are being received, what their questions are, and how their responses can give insight into what students outside the seminary may be wondering about. 

I would love for course evaluations to be more reliable sources for feedback. I pay attention to them, but sometimes so few are turned in, there needs to be a better, more accurate way of receiving course evaluations. For my undergrad course, I asked them to do a handwritten midterm evaluation, and that was so helpful--and everyone filled it out. 

In 2020, there was a Monday worship-specific evaluation done with faculty, student surveys, student interviews, and alumni interviews.