Mid-semester Evaluations

Mid-semester Evaluations

by Nicholas (Nick) Elder -
Number of replies: 3

Along with the seminary, we utilize mid-semester evaluations. In theory, this allows for students to voice what is and is not working well for them in a course as it progresses. As Matt has mentioned recently, with online, asynchronous courses, it becomes a little more difficult to be nimble and implement changes "on the fly."

I tend to not get the best feedback in the questions asked through EvaluationKIT, and often will replace it or supplement it with other questions like those in the attached document.

As to looking ahead, I would love to see us do more peer-evaluation of our classes. Since I have been here I have not had anyone give me direct feedback on my classes other than students. Of course, I could be proactive and ask for this from my peers, but I think it would behoove us to have it be a regular, structural norm.

In reply to Nicholas (Nick) Elder

Re: Mid-semester Evaluations

by Mary Emily Duba -

Just seconding this. I also use what I call a "Midpoint Check-In" using the survey feature in Moodle, and find it produces better feedback than the EvaluationKIT ones. Two samples attached.

Attachment HT 567 Midpoint Check-in opportunity - Duba.png
Attachment sample Midpoint Check-in - Duba.png
In reply to Mary Emily Duba

by Susan Forshey -
This is a great tool, Mary Emily! Thank you for sharing it. I didn't realize there was an anonymous option for Moodle surveys.
In reply to Nicholas (Nick) Elder

by Susan Forshey -
Thank you for this course check-in example, Nick.