Susan

Susan

by Susan Forshey -
Number of replies: 0

1. Specifically name any places where you lift these up, make them known (or see these lifted up and made known).  

Our shared focus on vocational discernment with our students--whether undergrad, CEP, unclassified, seminary, or DMin--is compelling and shows our commitment to "challenging students to live lives of worth and purpose, and preparing students for service to the church and the world. We take advising seriously, beyond the narrow boundaries of class schedule. 

More than any seminary I've been connected with, UDTS is committed to preparing students for the student's denominational, regional, ecclesial context, not a one size fits all education or formation, even when those contexts or students hold views which differ from our own convictions. This to me is faithfulness to providing a hospitable Christian environment which respects difference, and allows for us to feast at the table of Christ together. To model this kind of hospitality for our students and among our students is the implicit curriculum that (I pray) they live out wherever they are called. I have seen this meeting across difference in classrooms, online, in Madison, and in our faculty. 

2. Provide a line or two on how you see these specially reflecting our unique context and constituency.  

Gathering in gratitude and faithfulness, to be reformed according to the Word of God.
I see us living this part of the mission statement when we make space for prayer and worship in our corporate life together. It is not an afterthought, but integral for us to gather under the Word and guided by the Holy Spirit. Morning Prayer, Chapel, Evening Prayer; the round of Zoom prayer during COVID; to still pray as a community each day on Zoom when August had to go online; the efforts to collaborate with undergrad chapel these past semesters; the value placed on the personal discipleship of our students, not just their ministry productivity. 

3. And then note a point where you see the UD and UDTS missions as complementary.

In 10 years, so much has changed. In 2014, it seemed the distance between the two entities was large, almost two separate institutions. Now, connections have been forged over the decade and a cohesiveness of vision is solidifying. I see this in the theology department and Dr. Duba's hard work to build that program. I see it in the Spirituality Day that draws seminary faculty as speakers for the nursing and PA students, and provides important exposure to the role spirituality plays in healthcare. I see it in seminary faculty teaching undergraduates and (again) in the collaboration with undergrad chapel. Even, that our calendars are synching more each year. We believe that UD is a good place to be embedded as a seminary, and I hope that more and more the University community will believe it is good to have a seminary. 

Each of these examples and so many more point to a mission of education, shared by both UD and UDTS, that is informed by our explicit Christian commitments, respect of the unique gifts of our students, and is hospitable to difference without dilution, providing a place for learning, practice, and growth. We don't make cookie-cutter students.