Continually guided by our confessions

Continually guided by our confessions

by Bradley Longfield -
Number of replies: 0

Those being ordained to ministry in the PC(USA) are asked, "Will you fulfill your ministry in obedience to Jesus Christ, under the authority of Scripture, and be continually guided by our confessions?"

In my class, "History and Confessions of the Presbyterian Church," we study all of the confessions in the Book of Confessions. Toward the end of the class the students are asked what daily and weekly disciplines they will follow in order to respond with integrity to this question. Typically, they share their plans to immerse themselves weekly, if not daily, in the Scriptures and confessions.  I pray they follow their plans.

In the Church History sequence we read major voices in the history of the church (quickly). I stress the importance of making at least some of these individuals friends, and returning to them regularly to get to know them better and allowing the saints to form them. C.S Lewis wrote, "It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between. If that is too much for you, you should at least read one old one to every three new ones."  I pray all of our graduates continue to read.  I encourage them to read old books.

Finally we open each class with prayer. The church has always recognized that theology must begin with prayer. I seek to witness to that discipline in an effort to instill the practice in our students.