RE: Automatic typing (radically distinct from AI)

RE: Automatic typing (radically distinct from AI)

by Timothy (Tim) Slemmons -
Number of replies: 0

By which I mean, I'm shooting from the hip here and pray the Spirit will give me something to say:

1. Intellectual: the pursuit of the truth in searching the scriptures.

Human: inspired by the knowledge of God's love for us revealed to us in the human Son of God; we share a common sense and a common conviction that Jesus is our referent for what it really means to be fully human (BTW, whatever happened to that Nicene Creed project?)

Spiritual: valuing faith as more than a body of doctrines (but certainly including them), but rather as the sphere of life that is the province of the human spirit, marked by freedom in Christ and participation in the divine nature.

Vocational: offering service to God as we live in "obedience to the truth," "the obedience of faith," or when we "obey the Gospel" (i.e., understanding "obedience" as distinct from fearful obedience to the law or avoidance of punishment; as a grateful response to grace.)

2. Chapel/daily prayer three times each residential class day (Monday); multiple times per week with undergrad, university-wide worship (two convocations per year, baccalaureate, service of thanksgiving and remembrance); daily chapel in August residence.

In student advising, faculty go well beyond "what classes to take," but take the opportunity to discuss vocational formation, the judicatory "care" process, etc. Significant mentoring happens there.

Faculty serving as student references often evolve into a long-term, even lifelong relationship.

Alums are often our first and best network for the next degree program (esp. MDiv to DMin), or the next step in growing gifts and talents (even without a new degree, sometimes they are tapped to teach, administer, recruit, etc.), all natural expressions of "lifelong learning" with those who know you best.