Tim

Tim

by Timothy (Tim) Slemmons -
Number of replies: 0

On accessibility:

• I think Matt and Annette's excellent work in helping Rick Watson gain access to Braille resources for biblical languages could be mentioned, if not for the first time (I think that was within the last ten years, no?), then again. Rick is ordained, now serving his second church. Those resources not only got him through language courses, he used them for his Bible Exegesis ord (and I know that was within the last 10 years).
  • Not sure I have the deets to be able to describe exactly what we are doing right, but we have another student who is both visually impaired and extremely bright and productive (taking huge loads every semester and pulling excellent grades). Not sure to what extent we are naming or anonymizing the characters in our narrative, but I think Stacey Nelson is a success story.
  • Faculty post office hours to be accessible to students; this is not exclusively for the benefit of residential students, but I have had distance students have ask for these hours, as well. Some do phone, but e-mail is more common, and the whole faculty is very prompt and responsive to e-mails (even when they have posted an auto-reply, "out of the office" message, if the matter is urgent).
  • We also recently adapted our chapel schedule and made several other adjustments to grant accessibility to a prospective student who is in a wheel-chair; I believe he is planning to attend next year, despite the limitations of our main seminary building.