Nick

Nick

by Nicholas (Nick) Elder -
Number of replies: 0

Posting course descriptions/syllabi ahead of registration. The work of the academic affairs committee. Midterm and end-of-term student evaluations. 

A growth area I see in this respect is the culture of extensions that exists in our classes and programming. I am a bit desensitized to it now, but it was very surprising to me in my first, visiting year at UDTS how frequently students requested (and seemed to expect) extensions on individual assignments within the timeframe of the course and extensions to complete work after the semester had ended. I recognize that many of our students have incredibly busy lives and ministries, that extension requests within the semester can be granted or denied at each professor's volition, and that the academic affairs committee reviews formal extension requests. Nonetheless, extensions are very common, and I am often concerned that "fairness" and "accountability" are comprised both for the students who receive extensions (it is very difficult for me to assess work submitted late in the same way that I do work that is submitted on time) and those who do the work in the prescribed timeframe.